Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How to apply for the Bar in Missouri

Well it has started. I’ve begun the process of applying for admission to the Missouri bar. If anyone is wondering who is checking up on lawyers in Missouri, I can assure you that the Missouri Board of Law Examiners is quite thorough. This is the bureaucratic equivalent of a body cavity search…if there is paperwork out there about me, they are going the lay their finger on it.

Here are some of the things I have to pay for:

  1. Pay $800 to file my application
  2. Pay $20 for certificates of good standing from Texas
  3. Pay $?? for a certified copy of my driving record
  4. Pay $20 for a certified copy of my birth certificate
  5. Pay ~$20 for a certified transcript of lawschool
  6. Maybe more fees.

    I also have to:

  7. Provide 10+ different references
  8. List every place I’ve lived since I was 18 (you try it, it is harder than you might think).
  9. List every job I’ve had and every period of unemployment for ten years
  10. Certify in several different ways that I am not a drunk or a drug addict
  11. Certify that I have never had a mental illness
  12. Get fingerprinted
  13. Certify lots more stuff.

    I don’t fault them for it, but this is a pain in the ass.

No comments:

 
Faith, here’s an equivocator, that could swear in both the scales against either scale; who committed treason enough for God’s sake, yet could not equivocate to heaven. O, come in, equivocator. -Shakespeare, Macbeth: 3.2.9-12