Monday, November 10, 2008

Mandates Cont.

It has been up and down the last few days. The big news in one area I’m familiar with is that the new boss will be bringing back someone that everyone was glad to see go when he/she retired a few years ago. I will refer to him or her as [old guy].

[Old guy] was the type of guy that just pissed off everyone. He had a particular kind of narcissistic idealism which pains me as a defense attorney. It was the sort of attitude that makes judges assess sanctions. [Old guy] is just too pig-headed to see when he’s on the losing end of an argument. I have memos from twenty years ago that are just wrong, because he thought it was “the right thing to do.” He also had a way of demeaning everyone around him while at the same time taking all credit personally for anything good that every happened. In other words, not the type of person who would thank the little people during the award ceremony.

So it appears, however, that [old guy] and new boss are friends, or at least they get along well enough that new person is bringing him on. The real question is in what capacity, though. If [old guy] is put in a position of power, it might be a good way to clear out the ranks. If I wasn’t already leaving, I would probably quit if I had to deal with [old guy] anywhere in my chain of reporting. I wouldn’t be the only one.

Politics is a bitch.

No comments:

 
Faith, here’s an equivocator, that could swear in both the scales against either scale; who committed treason enough for God’s sake, yet could not equivocate to heaven. O, come in, equivocator. -Shakespeare, Macbeth: 3.2.9-12